Monday 6 June 2016

reading vocabulary week 5

Year 7/8: I can use my growing wide range of academic and content-specific vocabulary to understand texts.


Name of Text: Underground Explorers

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.46 am.png
Definitions
Void: a completely empty space.

Fluorescent:a fluorescent tube or lamp.

Vulnerable :exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or emotionally.

Interconnected: connect with each other.

Seldom: not common; infrequent.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.46 am.png
Example/Non Example
Is a void messy? Why or why not?
No because it’s a blank space in the universe
Which color is the most fluorescent at night? Why?
I think it's green or yellow because people always where those fluorescents colours.
Why are elderly people more vulnerable than children? Why?
Because elderly people will know what to do in that situation
Which is more interconnected; a vine or a dandelion? Why?
Vine because they connect to each other?
Which is more seldom; the Olympics or an election in NZ? Why?
Election because everyone in the world doesn't know what an election in nz.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.50 am.png
Word Associations
The plants in the garden are dying during a frost
Vulnerable
There were lots of different paths that joined each other
Interconnected
I made a shot from halfway while facing backwards.
vulnerable
We are still exploring  outer space.
void
I can find my key ring easily in the dark.
void

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.50 am.png
Word Relationships

How might each pair of words be connected?
Vulnerable/Fluorescent
I really want a fluorescent jacket.
Void/interconnected
Wormholes connect through voids.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 11.04.50 am.png
Extended Writing
Think of a time when you felt as though you were in a void or when you saw something that happens seldom. Write a paragraph about this.
When I wake up early the morning it is really dark and have to find my way to the switch and some times I  my toe trying to get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment